Today our family went to a town meeting if you will with our family. Let me add a side note that it lasted 2 1/2 hours and out children were ANGELS!!!!
We normally aren't the "town-meeting-attending" sort of family, but this not on our mailbox sounded interesting so we went.
I won't bore you with all the details although it was ANYTHING but boring. The topic was "The Loss of Private Property Right due to Globalization Process" which educated us on the destruction of private property rights through local "Comprehensive Planning", "Smart Growth Schemes", and "Limited Home Rule".
Google any of these things and you'll be surprised at what you find!!
During the meeting the topic of spiral florescent light bulbs were brought up.
Now we have a handful of these in our home, and we all know the drill about saving energy and all the while saving money on light bulbs because these last 5-7 years.
Weeeeelllllllllll, did you know that on the back of the package there is a whole list of things you have to do to dispose of these light bulbs? They can't be placed in a landfill because THEY ARE FULL OF MERCURY! What are we going to do in 5-7 years when these bulbs do burn out? Where are we going to put them?
Did you know that if a florescent bulb breaks and the contents happen to get on your carpet, it is recommended that you rip up your carpet and replace it due to the harmful mercury, especially if you have small children.
WOW! Pretty scary I thought. Also at many places of business blown florescent bulbs are treated as hazardous material.
We will weigh the pros and cons the next time we have to purchase a light bulb.
I just wanted to share.
Mandy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

















1 comment:
Wow...I did not know that about those light bulbs. We don't have any yet in our house because it's new and we haven't had to replace any bulbs yet but we had talked about getting those when the ones we have now burned out. I don't know if it's worth it to buy because if I was to break one then boom replacing carpet it becomes. And I am clumsy. It can become an expensive "money saver" you know?
Something to think about thanks!
Post a Comment