Monday, June 29, 2009

History Lesson

Watching VH1, MTV, and BET this weekend was a trip down memory lane. Their tribute to Michael Jackson was so much fun to watch. My children who may not have otherwise know much about his music truly had a history lesson in Pop Culture this weekend. Here are some of my favorite comments:

Emma:
-How many times is he going to wear that red jacket?
-What's up with the glove?
-Why does he keep grabbing his crotch? (When I told her that was just a move that he always did and it didn't look very nice, she said to me, 'Well he grabs it so much, he probably needs some cream by now.' - Yes, I laughed my butt off!
-How can he move like that?
-She said he looks like a girl and dresses sort of girly too. Then she said 'Ha.....I guess he's a Tom Girl'
-After seeing the Thriller video for the first (second third and eighth) time, she thinks it's really cool. She kept re-assuring me (herself) that it wasn't real and it was just makeup on them and it really wasn't scary.
-Who wears pants like that?
I downloaded a bunch of songs from iTunes and she asked me to burn a cd for her. I did and passed by her room yesterday afternoon and peeked in on her listening to Bad and perfecting her Michael Jackson moves in the mirror (minus the crotch grab, of course). It sounds silly but it was a full circle moment for me.

Maci:
-He looks like a girl.
-He has on girl clothes.
-His hair looks like a girl.
-But Mommy, he is a boy...ok?
- In the Remember When video (Egypt) she comes running in the kitchen to tell Jason and I that Michael Jackson has on Princess clothes!
-She thinks the dancing zombies in Thriller are funny. (Yes I sent her out of the room when it came on but she kept sneaking back in)
Last night I asked her to tell me something about Michale Jackson. She said 'He died.' and 'He's been on TV too much.'

This is still so sad to me. Geraldo said last night that he is 5'10 1/2" and weighed 112 pounds when he arrived at the hospital. Amazing.


On to more cheerful news. Emma had a dentist appointment this morning and is cavity free. She is going to have to have 2 baby teeth pulled to prevent her incisors from coming in crooked, but that's really no biggie.

We've decided to switch our cable provider. We have Charter now and nothing about it is fabulous. Our bedroom tv scrambles the channels past 100. Charter "on Demand" is anything BUT on demand! Since I also have Internet with them, I'll change that too (hassle). I'm just trying to research the best deal. Any suggestions?

We found out this weekend that you apparently have to be a scientist or chemistry major to own a pool. Our water got cloudy, and one thing led to another. Now the pH is out of whack, alkalinity is too low, chlorine was WAY to high, now it's WAY to low. Add algicide, add shock, irreversible eye damage, skin irritations, faded bathing suits, it's too much to think about. Now I know why people with real big pools have a "pool boy".

Going to test the water now. Fingers crossed for all systems go. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Candi said...

Okay I am a child of the 80's and I love MJ. I even have an LP of Thriller that my parents bought and gave to me when I got older. But I have to say that until yesterday I had never watched the full 13 minute version of Thriller because when I was a child I would get freaked out. So yeah I am like Emma only I am 29 and I still had to remind myself it was just makeup and they weren't real. It's a true and terrible loss..I told my mom it was like when Elvis died for her generation. He was an icon for our generation.